A Hidden Gem in the Dorset Countryside
Prepare to Fall in Love
We’d like to introduce you to St Giles House. A true hidden gem in the Dorset countryside.
St Giles House, sits, in all its glory within the renowned Shaftesbury Estate in Wimborne St Giles. The manor house is owned by Lord and Lady Shaftesbury, who have brought the 16th century house back to life. In fact, as one recent Bride said to us, “love” has brought this house back together… and she’s not wrong. This is a wedding venue of dreams.
The house has a history of debauchery so it’s only fitting that there’s a bunker-style nightclub in the basement. Yes, you read that right. We don’t know many country manors with their very own nightclub; what a cool thing to be able to say about your Wedding Day?
The State rooms are stunning and full of light and grace. Unlike so many other country homes we visit, St Giles House isn’t dark, or stuffy, it’s magnificent, bright, full of personality, yet by no means over-powering.
The beauty of St Giles House is that you can use the house as you wish. You can dress different rooms for different experiences. From the Library to the Tapestry room, to the Gold room and the Great Hall, this is your day, your way!
In the Know…
St Giles House, in our opinion, offers a multi-sensory experience, with so many incredible aspects at your disposal. Just take a look at our favourite parts listed below;
- There’s a Shell Grotto hidden within the grounds, which is an absolute must to visit! Did you know, Shell Grotto’s were considered a Status symbol in the 16th Century and only the very finest Country Estates would have one? This particular Shell Grotto was left to ruin until the current Lord and Lady Shaftesbury restored it to its magical beginnings. This involved hiring a team of professionals from the restoration world who hand placed each and every shell that you see today! Now that’s dedication.
- The Sunken Lawn is simply stunning. The lawn changes with the seasons so you never know what to expect next. From bursts of colour to subtle hues, the team of gardeners sure know their stuff. The Sunken Lawn is perfect for entertaining your guests on a summer’s day. G&T anyone?
- Any Bride getting married at St Giles House is given permission to use the Japan Room upstairs. It’s gorgeous! And you’ll immediately see why it has this name. Here, you and your Bride Squad, can be pampered and preened for the special day that awaits you. Be sure to check out the old-skool bathroom too! It’s like you’ve stepped back in time.
- Prepare to be amazed at the book collection they house in the Library. From first editions to full collections of remarkable literacy, you’re in for a treat, and you don’t have to be a book-worm to agree! We’ve used the Library for a Wedding Breakfast – being surrounded by thousands of books that span centuries is nothing short of magical.
- Lastly, the brand-new and BEYOND COOL nightclub. The team at St Giles have converted the original Cellars into their very own nightclub. It’s already won awards and we’ve been told by a well-known DJ friend, it’s the best sound system he’s ever played on. Bold, we know, however, somehow we think he’s telling the truth.
If you’re a couple that likes to party, St Giles House might well be the perfect Wedding Venue for you. Full of class, sass, style and attitude, we highly recommend you pay them a visit, but be quick, they only hold a certain amount of Weddings per year. You heard it here first!